Saturday, October 25, 2008

Dad's Letter to Congress on the US-caused Global Economic Crisis

I thought you might enjoy this letter I sent to Congress the day before the first bailout bill vote.

To the US Administration, Congress, Federal Reserve and fellow Citizens,

God have mercy on us, we have elected foxes to guard the hen house! Now we look to them to save us from their crimes – unlikely! I want accountability! I want the foxes shot!

I had faith in God, but I also put my confidence in the US Government when I emigrated from New Zealand. The US Constitution of liberty inspired me to participate in and defend the USA. I served 23 years in the US Air Force and then gained first hand experience with radical Islam when I worked five years in Saudi Arabia. After being retired almost seven years, I returned voluntarily to active military service immediately following 9-11.

Thirty years of military service taught me that my confidence in the US Government is based on a foundation of our votes. When we do not hold our representatives accountable for their corruption – continually re-electing corrupt representatives – we are in trouble. When we are recipients of their graft our vote is corrupted and our liberty is lost.

Government programs do not have to yield a profit to stay in operation – therefore it is easy for those programs to be inefficient and wasteful with great negative consequences to those they are tasked to serve. For example we failed the nation before 9-11 – the North American Air Defense Command was still postured for the Cold War even though we knew about the asymmetric threat. Free market efficiencies are absent from government run programs and to the extent that government gets into business, those business sectors suffer. We are seeing this in government influenced home-buying and healthcare programs.

From the dot com crash to now I have watched with dismay as my four sons and daughter have struggled to provide for themselves and their families in an environment where pay has declined relative to the inflated cost of government influenced housing, education and health care. As I have sought to assist them I have become impoverished. Fortunately we all wisely stayed away from the government sponsored no-money-down-no-interest-for-10-years home-buying programs. Over the past few years the cost of housing has inflated to the point that the bulk of American workers cannot afford a home. That meant that the prices had to come down and will continue to come down until supply matches affordable demand.

If the artificial inflation of these government-influenced markets and their impending crash was evident to me - a citizen with little education in economics - where were my representatives? These foxes have been taking eggs for themselves, their special interests and their constituents, while also sacrificing some of the hens to their greed.

While this economic crisis of our own doing is threatening its full impact, I must wait until Nov 4 to make a change in Washington. For now let those in Washington who are true representatives of the people stand up, identify the foxes, and throw them out of their influential positions! Let honest men and women in government rise up and save us from the foxes that have enriched themselves at our expense.

I need to keep my faith in God and look for men and women who share with me a fear of God’s judgment of the wicked. I want men and women in congress who fear the judgment that God will surely impose on them and the nation they lead if they continue to steal the eggs and sacrifice the chickens.

Neil Holland

No comments: